Spīkera story began around year 1880, when in that time considered impressive size building was built as storage warehouse for Liepaja port. The end of 19.century Liepajas sales canal and spikeri from both sides formed essential economical function. During the Soviet era port area was closed for public, building kept performing the funciton of grain warehouse, largely retaining historical appearance. While in nineties in degraded cities centre port theritory the building was standing abandoned.
Year 1997 Ervils Laugalis bought spikeris, to create a base for repairing his fishing vessels. During a period of time owner restored spikeris building, while preserving the historical performance as much as possible.
Beginning of year 2000 local government of Liepaja decided to develop a promenade, thereby spikeris again was accessible to society, but it was mainly used for fishing needs.
In the last decade both sons of owner started to engage in family business more actively, the new generation started to plan spikeris development in completely new direction, which predicted focus on building for conversion with recreational function, which is also provided in the city development strategy on the promenade.
First big steps are done in 2020 when with the help of European Maritime and Fisheries fund, Rural Support service and local action group ''Liepaja District partnership'' support in four story building first floor realised 3 projects - created fish processing workshop, micro beer brewery and fish bar/restaurant.
Spīkeris second floor is furnished spacious premises, where to organise events up to 100 guests.
In close future there is a plan to create kids play and training room, which will focus on raising the visibility on local fishes to youngest generation through games and also including non-formal education methods.
In spīkeris third and fourth floor you will find fitness center.